List of USB Accessories that work with Hypno

This is an evolving list of all USB accessories that are confirmed to work with the Hypno (or confirmed to be problematic). We will continue to update this post so it can act as a reference/buying guide.

USB OTG adapters

A USB OTG adapter is required to convert from Hypno’s microUSB interface to the common USB-A port for accessories. This allows you to connect USB 2.0 webcams, capture cards and MIDI devices directly to Hypno’s front panel microUSB port, greatly expanding the potential of the module. We’ve had success with the following OTG adapters.

Always use caution with USB hubs, and provide sufficient power headroom when connecting multiple devices to Hypno. Powered hubs are recommended whenever multiple USB-powered devices are required, such as a webcam and a MIDI controller. Damage to Hypno caused by excessive power draw is not covered by warranty.

USB Video Devices

In general, the Hypno should work with any webcam or capture card that is:

• UVC compliant
  • USB 2.0
  • Supports an MJPEG compressed output mode

This specification isn’t always clearly published on product pages, so we’ve documented devices that are known to work with Hypno.

Webcams

Capture Cards

Other

NOT WORKING/NOT SUPPORTED

Webcams

• None reported so far

Capture Cards

• None reported so far

If you need help with UVC input, check out the UVC Video Input Setup and Troubleshooting Guide

USB MIDI control

Hypno also accepts MIDI control from class-compliant USB 2.0 MIDI devices like controllers, keyboards, synths, and grooveboxes. Because Hypno itself is a USB MIDI host, MIDI is not supported for host to host connections, such as between Hypno to a laptop. The following devices have been specifically tested with Hypno, but is not a definitive list by any means.

MIDI implementation for Hypno is available in the Hypno online manual.

What USB devices are you using with the Hypno? Please reply below!

I am using an HDMI Capture (Generic) with no issues

2 Likes

Added C920 webcam and UGREEN OTG adapter

Can anyone recommend a powered usb hub?

Got an atolla 4 port usb 3.0 powered hub.
It seems to work perfect.
I needed the powered usb 3.0 hub to support the (generic) capture card as I couldnt fit soundcard usb and capture card in adjacent ports in laptop as capture card is too fat… this hub did the job

3 Likes

I’m guessing this is just a capture card incompatibility issue, but I tried using the HDMI>USB capture device I already had on hand and couldn’t get it to work. Here’s what I’m trying to use:

https://www.amazon.com/HornetTek-Capture-Recorder-GrabberFor-Versions/dp/B06XWL7SZD/

I followed the provided instructions for connecting a video source to the Hypno, got the video state activated (new light blue color on the Shape A light), but I never see the video source. I know this video capture setup is working away from the Hypno. I’ve verified it working before the capture device is connected (on my TV) and after it is connected (on my laptop). No problems until I try to connect it to the Hypno.

Does anyone have any suggestions for fixing this or should I just buy the recommended capture card and use the one I have for something else?

Thanks,

• Steve

The capture card you linked is USB3.0 so unfortunately it isn’t compatible with Hypno. The module can accept USB2.0 connections only. There are USB2.0 HDMI capture devices on Amazon/eBay for $20 or less. We have one linked above.

Got it. I ordered the capture device you linked to above this morning. I’ll just use the one I have to capture the Hypno’s output. No muss. No fuss. Thanks!

1 Like

Adding to list of stuff that works.
Zoom q2n (camera)
Lindy usb 2.0 otg micro-b male / type a female (otg adapter)

1 Like

Updated list above and tried to find links for accesories mentioned by @James

1 Like

Nice one, I didnt know how to do the link thing… I will find out for next time

Do you have any idea if the Zoom Q2n-4K will also work? Been considering getting one and this may tip me over the edge.

I just checked it out looks like its pretty much the exact same but better so I can only imagine it should work just fine!

1 Like

Holy carp! :fish:

I just received my new capture card (the one you recommended, @Winston) and the Hypno is now even more additionally compelling than I could have imagined. There’s so much going on and possible now that I’m simply intoxicated by the possibilities. Can’t wait for my Q2n-4K to arrive next week.

Thanks!

2 Likes

That 4Kn does look like it would be a lot of fun but hypno does not operate at nearly that resolution for video capture lol

1 Like

I wasn’t really expecting it to maintain a 4K signal, but I’m hoping it will still work. I’ll know soon and let you know. :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

I can confirm that the Logitech C270 does work with the video input!

This is a link to the exact one I purchased (in case there are different versions?) :

3 Likes

Thanks, updated to include that!

1 Like

D’oh! I completely forgot to follow up here earlier. The 4K version of the Q2n does work well with the Hypno.

2 Likes