List of USB Accessories that work with Hypno

Thanks, added to the list!

Iā€™m using the Elektron Digitakt but I wanted to bring it up here as well that Digitakt uses CC# 1-128 and not 0-127 so weā€™re missing access to the oscillator 1 frequency (which Iā€™d love to be able to manipulate via MIDI). Not sure if we can shift the mapping up by one so anyone using Elektron devices can access oscillator 1 frequency?

Also just to note, that I could change oscillator 1 frequency with my moog matriarch but Iā€™m getting a static buzz if I plug anything in via CV, Iā€™d love to troubleshoot that with any of you, even if itā€™s via email or phone, just bc I want to get the most out of my Hypno but the whole static thing is deterring me from wanting to use CV at the moment.

Hai @jsthiele I see you already found the thread about this so lets follow up there: Issue Sequencing hypno with midi gear via CC0 - #4 by jsthiele

1 Like

Not sure if this is an option many will use, but Iā€™ve connected my iPhone to the Hypno with a certified Apple Lightning to HDMI adapter. Playing videos through VLC and the YouTube app works like a charm - pushing the video up to the Hypno and leaving your phone with the controls to make changes as needed. Any model of phone or pad with a lightning port should work. The camera works too, but itā€™s certainly not ideal for this application since the controls are in the way and itā€™s only mirroring the screen. Other apps (video DJ?) should prove quite fruitful, though. :slight_smile:

We actually just made a video for this exactly!

1 Like

Oooh nice. I was looking for ways to do this with android but no luck. If anyone figures this out please let me know

I had experimented with TouchViZ and found it to be an excellent companion to VLC and other video sources on the iPhone with Hypno. Didnā€™t know about the other apps you mentioned. Excellent suggestions! Wonderful video. Thanks!!

1 Like

Certain android phones have the same functionality, you plug in an OTG style cable with an HDMI port just like with the iPhone.

Another option is to cast your Android phone to a Chromecast which is then plugged into an HDMI capture card.

1 Like

I have ASM Hydrasynth working as a MIDI device to control Hypno. Is there any way to get two MIDI devices to work simultaneously over USB? Also, as you might expect, original Korg NanoKontrol (9-fader) works just fine too.

3 Likes

Hypnoā€™s code only allows for one MIDI device connected at this time, but the ability to use two or more devices has definitely crossed our minds before. If both units were equipped with MIDI 5-pin, thereā€™s an off chance some synths or controllers would pass through incoming MIDI data to USB, allowing you to daisy chain them, but Iā€™m not personally aware of which devices do this.

Hereā€™s a crop of items Iā€™ve been using with my Hypno. Generic HDMI capture (UJM branded), EasyCap/EasierCap composite video capture, micro USB hub (Tusita branded), and a vehicle AV splitter that makes for a great DIY composite splitter panel.

EasyCap

OTG HUB
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LTHBCNM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_5CY35SA3CEST3KRNTRH0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Composite Splitter

1 Like

Thanks for the reply, Winston. Turns out the ASM may be overloading the hypno with midi messages, Iā€™m not sure how to spy on the stream, but I can say that when trying to use midi cc messages to modulate parameters on the hyno, there is nasty lag in the video output when hdmi capture is activated while the hydrasynth is connected. This doesnā€™t seem to be present when an internal shape is selected. Just an FYI.

Does the lag issue persist when Hydrasynth is disconnected? There is always going to be a bit a latency when using UVC input devices so a little bit of lag isnā€™t out of the ordinary.

In either case, there is a finite amount of bandwidth available on the front USB port, and generally video input will eat up most of it. Iā€™m not sure what kind of messages the HS sends on a boarder basis but you might be able to examine the output with a program like MIDI-OX. If you can shut off any messages like NRPN, clock, or anything that isnā€™t CC/notes, then that might possibly help.

When the HS is disconnected it immediately snaps back to being fluid. Iā€™ve used a nanokontrol with great success but would like to play more with modulating stuff thatā€™s deeper than the front panel. I donā€™t imagine you can use CV to do that?

You can use the CV outputs of the HS to modulate the front panel parameters, but youā€™d need something like a CV->MIDI module (such as the Befaco VCMC) to access the paged parameters with CV.

I have a friend that works at ASM, he mentioned turning off poly aftertouch, it may help simplify the MIDI data coming out.

Found another webcam with lots of features. Even comes with a USB A to USB C adapter. Too bad itā€™s not a micro USB OTG adapter.

Kano Webcam - Flexible, Macro, Video and Pictures

2 Likes

Itā€™s very strange, the HS doesnā€™t need to be sending ANY midi, just to be plugged into the same usb hub as the HDMI dongle makes the capture stutter. When I unplug it, itā€™s instantly better.

Iā€™m sure itā€™s sending something even if youā€™re not playing it. You could inspect this with MIDI-OX or a similar MIDI monitor.

I have. I can take a video if it helps? you can tell when itā€™s sending cc. it stutters either way. I guess I could try another hub, but the one I bought is the one linked here marked ā€œSMAYSā€ on the side. just hdmi and HS are plugged in. Powered 2x on the side and on top (via the hub). output is hdmi.