Video Input - Hypno 2.0 Firmware

Ah yes, please do that would be a great help.

I also noticed the buttons are prone to release, I also suspect that sometimes this trips me or others up. Also buttons may be less reliable with age I’m realizing now so may exacerbate this problem (though I may just be paranoid idk)

I’m considering doing some countermeasure on this like a tiny delay when exiting page to prevent bounces.

So I used the video input for a live set last Saturday. It worked well, but the settings jumping issue was intense. Video input dual button page would almost always cause the settings on the main page to jump, even when both buttons are definitely pressed down, for every setting. In reverse as well, pressing down both buttons would change all the input settings to what ever every control is, which was really frustrating for dialing in the video input settings. Same issue applies for all the pages too, but not as consistently frustrating. I think this all would be smoother using a midi controller, but that’s not possible at the same time. I am curious if you are considering a pi4 upgrade kit like Structure is? I noticed the pi3 is easy to access when I updated my Hypno. I don’t know that would help with usb bandwidth, but it might help with frame rate on more complex patches?

Hypno runs on Pi compute module 3+, and there is no possible pi upgrade path hardware wise (+ I expect sourcing the new CM4 modules will remain close to impossible through summer 2021)

Had some more time today. Tried not to get lost :sweat_smile: and managed to do some testing.

Starting with just the left oscillator patched, sine selected, slider at notch, no modulation, rotation 11 o’clock, polariser fully CCW, straight lines on the output.
While left button is pressed, applying minimal fractal amount, and fully positive fractal mod.
Releasing left button. In approx. 2 sec the maximum polar amount is applied without touching anything.

Recreated on the second oscillator. It just seems to take significantly longer for the controls to jump in this case.

Also happens for the out knobs. Tested by applying feedback rotation to diagonal lines. After leaving the page the original lines jump to a different orientation. The jump here isn’t as pronounced but it is there.

Happens on the feedback knob too. Started with feedback fully CW. On the feedback page, I turn the knob to 12 o’clock. Releasing the button, few seconds pass, output is black.

I haven’t been able to recreate it with the hue knob so far. It seems to be unaffected.

It seems to have to do with how the inputs are polled.
I also noticed that the rotation cv ins seem to pickup a bit of noise. With static patches the rotation seems to shift small amounts in random direction and time. That’s probably a different issue though.

1 Like

Thanks for this, I believe I have enough information now to be able to solve this problem, I will be taking more look into this in early jan,

For now please direct all comments about this issue to this thread to keep things organized: CV Jitter & Knob Jumping on 2.0.6 (Knobs pickup position after leaving page)

3 Likes

SleepyRon
Thank you for the updates. The link you provided to direct comments to is broken…

Whoops thanks for catching that, updated link

Continuing the discussion from Video Input - Hypno 2.0 Firmware:

Hi. Had the Hypno a couple of weeks and having great fun. Just got a HDMI capture device and feeding it in through front USB using iPad - all good. It’s now dawned on me that I cannot now record the output on my Mac using OBS. Any advice - I assume there must be a way to record onto computer through HDMI output but not obvious how at the moment. Cheers and thanks for a great product!

My current solution is to simply get another HDMI Capture to feed video into your mac from Hypno’s HDMI output.

Thanks 2020 for making capture cards dirt cheap! Silver linings hah

1 Like

Thank you obvious when you think about it :grin:

I was wondering if a powered usb hub like this Elektron Overhub could work for video input and midi at the same time with Hypno? Would the previously posted limitations still apply?

You can try, but there isn’t enough bandwidth in the single USB 2.0 PHY available on the Compute Module, hubs result in glitchy video input with cutouts and there isn’t really anything we can do about this.

2 Likes

I’ve tried with a cheap USB hub unpowered. Connected a logitech webcam and LPD8 MIDI controller. Works like a charm.
Haven’t tried outputting video through the NDI at the same time though.

Very surprised by this as all my tests have resulted in bad performance, even if hubs work this will remain unsupported officially for power and UI reasons.

Please be careful not to power more than one device off of any hubs and do not charge any phones off of this port as this will likely damage your unit (and will not be covered by our warranty).

Hey I’ve been trying to find a way to use video input without a capture card for now.
How is everyone feeding webcams to hypno? Webcam usb to Female usb/small usb cable to front panel on hypno ? Is there a way to send video from laptop to hypno?
I have a zoom q2n. I know I could use q2n hdmi out to capture card to hypno but can I send the video from q2n to laptop and laptop to hypno via usb? Can you send hypno a laptops camera feed via usb?

For an external UVC webcam you just need a microUSB adapter, also known as a USB OTG cable. I’ve used my Logitech C920 with Hypno, no problems.

I’m not personally aware of any methods that let you send video out as UVC over USB from a laptop. Maybe this exists but it’s not something we’ve seen or tested. At any rate, if you have one of the HDMI capture devices then it’s just a matter of connecting your laptop’s HDMI output to the capture card (again, with the OTG cable), so that’s a pretty easy solution.

1 Like

Thanks for reply.
Cool, I have 2 capture cards on the way. Looking forward to using the video input!
Appreciate the answer!

1 Like

Just to clarify. There is no way to send video from laptop via usb to hypno with a usb to micro usb cable??

We’re unaware of methods to send UVC video over a USB cable from a PC or Mac. If you find anything that does this, please let us know!

1 Like