List of USB Accessories that work with Hypno

Havent tested this tbh, but in theory it should be possible with one of these type of generic adapters

I dont have one of these anymore so perhaps someone could test this out if anyone has one lying around?

Edit: @jacobroufa confirmed working. Added to opening post.

I use one of these generic adapters to communicate with multiple midi devices including the Blokas MidiHub and also an AKAI MPD-226. Works well, would recommend, as theyā€™re cheap!

3 Likes

The RK-006 does convert the output from USB to 5-pin (or vice versa), but its big strength (for me) is being able to merge multiple usb devices into a single midi stream to use to feed to Hypno. I mainly have been using midi instead of CV to mod Hypno, although it can do midi to cv as well as several other very handy functions.

I then use Midi plus 2x2 to convert back to USB to send to Hypno, but you could use an el-cheapo device like the one above.

Jacob, love to see what youā€™re doing with the midihub, I havenā€™t even ventured into mine yet!

Behringer bcr2000 and is202 (iPad holder thingy) work with kit + pi4b

Working with channel 16 user mappings:

• Midi Fighter Twister
  • Arturia Minilab Mk2

Assembled (CM4-WS)

2 Likes

Is anyone using the Beatstep Pro As a Midi Controller?
I have one but i canĀ“t get it to work.
Can i go direct from the USB output into the Hypno?
I connected it this way, choose channel 16 on the Beatstep for all Sequencers but nothing is happening
thanks for any help

Iā€™m using the Arturia beatstep pro. Triggering tr505 drum machine plus td3 baseline whilst the midi controller is mapped to Hypnos controls plus cv out and drum trigger out triggering cv ins on hypno for a superb musical synced psychedelic experience. -

1 Like

Hi there. I had the same issues but eventually tried one of those cheap midi to usb converters which works perfectly. Makes the knobs t the hypno controls plus you can hook up the cv and trigger outs to the cv ins on hypno for good musical synced visuals with a little finessing

Can confirm C920s functionality. :+1:

2 Likes

Just noting that Iā€™ve been trying out the Erae Touch from Embodme - https://www.embodme.com/

The USB MIDI connection doesnā€™t work unfortunately, but the Touch also has a minijack MIDI connection which works through the use of a USB to MIDI dongle thing, and itā€™s pretty awesome so far.

Hey i was in a hurry and i bought a aruria minilab mk2 and that worked. i wanna get it to run with the sqarp pyramid now i can save presets so far but i can send midi cc yet and try to figure that out now

sqarp pyramid is working

1 Like

I just got a MicroLab and itā€™s not working with Hypno. The Micro is set to midi channel 16 and Iā€™ve tried F# G# A# on all the octaves but get no front panel preset recall.

Iā€™m connected directly to the usb A port on the Hypno. Do I need an OTG USB hub?

edit: the MicroLab just started randomly working. Not all the keys respond and if you save to a key it doesnā€™t recall the same thing. Also, should I get some visual on the Hypno when I Micro key long press? Buggy board? Came as an open box and looks new.

Works now. Donā€™t know why, donā€™t care :heart_eyes:

===

yet another edit: Iā€™ve watched the first 24 minutes or so of mylarmelodies tutorial (multiple times) but never watched past where he hooks up the Moog Mavis. This time I did and wow, cv looks like a great way to Hypno! He also uses a MicroLab for presets.

The Mavis seems great but it doesnā€™t have a sequencer. Any suggestions? Iā€™d like something no bigger than the Mavis.

Update on using the MicroLab and the FeelWorld L2.

The MicroLab works perfectly (after a slightly weird setup).
Long press a white key to write or overwrite a preset.

You can also use C# and D# for presets but F# G# A# correspond to the 3 Hypno buttons and are unchangeable.

F# => switch OSC A shape
G# => toggle feedback mode
A# => switch OSC B shape

I used to be confined to the 3 front panel presets (plus freestyling of course) and now I have the problem of too many preset choices (a good problem to have). No longer will I freehand a great Hypno groove and have to abandon it!

===

As to the FeelWorld L2, this thing is fabulous. I use it in T-bar mode with simple fades. PIP, logo overlays and chroma keying are virtually worthless for my workflow. Fading and blending inputs with the T-bar is whatā€™s up. I might find a use for the other features but if I donā€™t it wonā€™t matter.

I mentioned heat before and yeah, this thing generates a LOT of heat. If you turn the fan off and blackout the monitor and walk away from the unit for 5 minutes, it will heat up to the point that it becomes worrisome.

I leave the fan on the lowest setting and raised the unit (sat it on top of some cable) to allow better airflow. This works and the unit stays reasonably cool. I might add a dollar store usb fan to see if it will let me cut down on internal fan usage. I worry about a future fan failure (donā€™t we all).

Overall the L2 is a hit!!!

===

I got a Moog Mavis from Perfect Circuit last night after watching mylarmelodies (again). It should be here in a few days. Tonight will be spent making and saving Hypno presets.

:notes: :sparkler: :star_struck:

Hallo. MY first reply. Just got Hypno and this thread answers would have been my first question and happy I have several of these :slight_smile:

1 Like

Working:

Roland UM-ONE

This works for me as a USB MIDI interface to get MIDI into my Hypno. Iā€™ve only tested the input port as I assume the output port has no function (and it would have no purpose for me in my setup anyway). Not the cheapest equivalent solution, and I see that a generic version has already been confirmed as working so that would be a cheaper solution unless you already have this.

Assembled (CM4-WS)

I just got an OP-Z and canā€™t for the life of me get the Hypno to recognize it. The OP-Z is connected from usb C to usb A on the Hypno (Pi 4) and I set OP-Z tracks 14 & 16 to midi channel 16 but I get no note (preset) messages or CCā€™s. Any ideas would be appreciated.

===

edit: as usual, never mind. I had an OPLAB installed in the OP-Z and when I removed it everything started working! Sequencing Hypno presets is a breeze.

I was counting on OPLAB to replace the Mavis for cv glitching but it looks like it blocks usb midi when installed and thereā€™s no option to pass midi to OPLAB or usb or both. Overall the OP-Z looks like itā€™ll make a great Hypno controller and sequencer. I think it might also replace my Obey 40!?!

I never thought Iā€™d buy (and like) a piece of Teenage Engineering gear.
Itā€™s tiny (which is good) but fiddly (I had to get a usb flex-light to see it).
Produces precise preset swaps. Havenā€™t tried setting CCā€™s yet (2nite!)
no cv :face_with_diagonal_mouth: but still :partying_face: