Our Favorite Eurorack modulators for Hypno

One of the great things about Hypno is that it is appealing to both those who use eurorack and those who don’t. But Hypno plays very well with friends! So for those who aren’t so familiar with the wide world of eurorack modules, here is an evolving list of LFOs and other modulators that should open up a lot of interesting animations with Hypno!

• ALM Busy Circuits Pamela’s New Workout 8 simultaneous, clocked modulators with individual control over clock divisions, waveshape, level, phase and so much more! This module will quickly fill almost every patch point on Hypno, allowing you to go crazy with synchronous and asynchronous modulation with lots of control over each one. This is a very menu-driven module, which may not be for everyone, but for it’s size and density it’s hard to beat Pamela’s at this price. PNW produces an output of 0-5V. ALM - ALM017 Pamela's NEW Workout
  • XOAC Devices Batumi multi-mode quad LFO with 12 simultaneous outputs. Batumi is a staple in any eurorack system thanks to a combination of useful functionality and straightforward operation. This module gives you four independent LFOs, each with 3 waveform outputs, and able to be used in free, quadrature, clock divided, or phase modulated modes. Quadrature and phase modes are extremely sweet for dialing in animation on Hypno that “push and pulls.” Batumi outputs -5V/+5V. Xaoc Devices
  • XOAC Devices Zadar one of the more novel modules on this list, Zadar is a quad “vector” envelope that generates triggered modulation from a large library of vector shapes, from simple to complex. These can create some very interesting animations with Hypno, especially when multiple are used! Envelopes can either be triggered externally or looped like an oscillator. There is also a great deal of waveshape control that will take your modulation to a new level! Zadar outputs 0-10V. Xaoc Devices
  • Make Noise Maths is it even a module recommendation list without Maths? Maths is arguably the most popular eurorack module of all time and for good reason: it packs a huge amount of useful analog functions into one easy to use module. Maths boasts two A/D function generators that can be triggered or looped. Maths is also a powerful voltage processor that can be used to combine voltages from other modules and distill those into unique variations, or more bring them into more usable ranges. Use Maths on its own to animate Hypno, or combine it with other modules to transform your LFOs and other voltages into complex modulators. Maths can also be used as an envelope follower, which generates modulation voltages from audio input, i.e. audio reactivity. Maths has an overall range of -10/+10V. Make Noise Co. | MATHS
  • LZX Industries Sensory Translator Sensory Translator is a multiband envelope follower that splits incoming audio into 5 distinct frequency bands and generates control voltages for each one. This is a superb module for generating modulation that is synced to music. The inclusion of an onboard microphone means you don’t even need to patch an audio source into it, though inputs are available for plugging in microphones, audio eurorack modules, and external music. sources. NOTE: LZX modules work on a 0-1V standard which is far below the audio eurorack ranges of -5/+5, so it will require some amplification to use with Hypno. You can also use it purely as a trigger generator to drive other envelope modules. Sensory Translator – LZX Industries
  • SSF Ultra Random Analog random and sample & hold modules allow you to create less repetitive or more chaotic animations, and URA is a highly functional module for generating several different random voltages at once. Use this for breaking the monotony of cyclic modulation and adding unpredictable movements to your Hypno patches. The module has options for stepped or smooth voltages, and gives you a wide range of control. URA outputs -10V/+10V Ultra-Random Analog — STEADY STATE FATE
  • Ornament & Crime this is a wonderful module because it packs many different kinds of modules into one generic interface. O_c can be an envelope generator, sequencer, quadrature wavetable LFO, and much more. If you want an “all-in-one” solution then this module may be a good fit for you. Expect to do a lot of menu diving, but it is a killer bang for buck. There’s a mini version that’s only 8hp, too. O_c has a range of about -3V/+5V. https://ornament-and-cri.me/

You can help us add to this thread by writing a short description of your favorite modulators and mentioning how you like to use it with Hypno. We will add your comments to this main thread!

3 Likes

If you want to perform a simple repetitive animation of a parameter over time, consider an LFO (Low Frequency Oscillator) module. I have 3 Doepfer A-145-4 Quad Low Frequency Oscillator LFO modules in my system. I like them because they pack 4 LFOs into 4 hp, and they’re relatively cheap. The downside is that you can’t CV control the LFOs themselves, but what do you expect for 4 hp? :smiley: I used to have a Batumi, but sold it because I wasn’t using any of its extra features.

If you want to perform an animation as a response to a trigger, like a clock pulse, or a gate from a played note, consider an Envelope Generator (or Function Generator) module. I use an Intellijel Quadra because it packs four EGs in a relatively small space, but there are tons of other options. Note that Quadra EGs can also function as LFOs by setting them to loop. Maths and Stages are also cool options.

Here are LFO modules and Envelope Generators sorted by popularity on ModularGrid.

4 Likes

I have an Error GlowLFO and it works well, still playing around with it.

1 Like

Ok. I have a CV Thing to translate CV to MIDI. I have the powered USB hub to bring MIDI from that module into my Hypno. I’m quickly learning about how to most effectively use MIDI to control various features of my Hypno (like hue values). I also happen to own a few LZX modules including a Sensory Translator (one of the solutions recommended above).

The one piece of equipment I don’t have is a device to translate the Sensory Translator’s 0-1V signals to -5/+5V signals which are more appropriate for the Hypno. I’ve found a eurorack module that would go the opposite direction (from -5/+5V down to 0-1V), but I’d prefer something that could translate in either direction. A standalone solution would be ok, but I’d prefer a 2-4HP Eurorack module. Can anyone make a recommendation here?

Only module that can do /5 and x5, that I’m aware of, is the LZX Bridge, but it’s 8hp. I use this module with ST and Hypno.

There’s also the LZX Cadet scaler, which is 4hp, and can be built to scale down or scale up, but you’d need two of them again

1 Like

Yeah, it seems the Bridge is going to be my best bet. I’ll just have to move a module or two out of my current audio skiff and make room for it.

Thanks for the insight and perspective!

1 Like

Ochd from DivKid is a great small sized module for LFO’s. It has 8 triangle LFO’s with variable speed in 4hp.

Ochd

2 Likes

The Expert Sleepers little mikey pre-amp is at least one module that I’ve found will clear
the side HDMI connection with the expander installed. Good if you don’t want to lose HP
with the expander. Handy as well for getting ext. audio into the Hypno, maybe be careful with
the +60 db of gain it can do.

1 Like

Any reason you can’t mount the expander on the left side of Hypno? It should have enough clearance for the right angle HDMI connector

You can, but it takes up 4hp pretty much, the expander is only 2 hp. So there will still be a gap.
Unless you can find another module that will clear it, out of my 63 modules, only the pre-amp
will clear even those 2 hp. Though there are a couple that will clear it if inverted. The expander
should probably be 4 hp imo. *shrug

With the recommended cable, installed in the right orientation, the expander panel will cover the connector

Hmm, maybe I didn’t get exactly the same cable, the right-angle connection doesn’t really clear for me.
Anyway, there you have it I guess. Thanks… The Pre-amp is still quite useful for me, and I prefer the
hdmi out on the right. : )