Upscaler for Pi 4 Hypno?

I’m hoping someone can help.

I just bought a Pi 4 Hypno, and my Blackmagic DeckLink Duo capture card won’t recognize its video, even though it had no problem capturing the output of my CM3 Hypno. Which is maybe a separate issue… Like, is this an insurmountable hardware issue? Can this be “fixed” in software?

Either way, right now, I just need a way to connect my Pi 4 Hypno to the DeckLink Duo so I can capture its video. I’ve seen mentions of upscalers in other threads, but nothing specific. Can anyone recommend an upscaler that will allow my DeckLink Duo to see the output of the Pi 4 Hypno? Ideally, something affordable that will take Hypno’s output and convert it to something more standard like 720p or 1080p.

Thanks!

Pre LZX Gen3, the gold standard was a Blackmagic Analog to SDI & a DECIMATOR MD-CROSS or similar: MD-CROSS HDMI / SDI Cross Converter

that got the SD analog, way up to crispy clean HDMI signal…

Yowza! I know it’s the gold standard, but I don’t feel like $395 qualifies as something affordable. How about a bronze standard?

There was a point where they could be found quite cheap secondhand, perhaps as studios and filmmakers were dumping them during that funny stage of the pandemic. for the bronze standard, I guess one of those $10 hdmi usb capture cards, or something a lil nicer would be the Blackmagic Atem Mini Pro and use it’s USB-c as a capture device.

Use it the other way around and bring 4 inputs into Hypno as UVC webcam device. As you like.

I appreciate the brainstorming, but the USB capture card approach doesn’t work for me, because I’m not always going to be connecting to a computer.

I really want my video FX unit to be foolproof and just work everywhere, regardless of downstream consumer. So I ultimately just want an HDMI output that is capable of connecting to anything without weird issues (like the CM3 Hypno does).

I was hoping there’d be some kind of basic HDMI → HDMI box that just takes whatever you throw at it and outputs 1080p, but apparently that kind of thing is really complex and costs $300+.

“or something a lil nicer would be the Blackmagic Atem Mini Pro and use it’s USB-c as a capture device.”

I like the ISO model. It lets me capture all 4 inputs plus a mixdown for later editing with Davinci Resolve. This feature alone makes it worth the price on FeeBay.

Can I ask what your intended final output is? Is the idea just to be portable? Or are you gigging with this setup and plan on outputting to a 4K projector or LED wall somewhere? Hypno is just SD (NTSC/PAL) over an HDMI connection and upscaling an SD signal to HD is gonna require an expensive standalone conversion, or aid of a computer.

Yeah, portable for gigs, where it’s anyone’s guess what the display will be, as well as capturing into a PC in the studio for OBS streaming.

Right on, plugged into the various projectors I’ve got here. (epsons, and the nice Optoma) Hypno is fine on its own, same for the Sony LCD, It’s all fine. It only looks a lil weird when I plug into any of the mixers. So Just roll with it. Unless your hitting a big festival stage, it’s gonna be fine. Even then, lol you may be just fine there too.

2 Likes

Ok, good to know. Do you have hypno_preferred_width set to something other than -1 in config.txt?

Decided to leave it at -1 after fumbling with it for awhile, and let my mixers do the rest.

Note to anyone else reading this, if I set hypno_preferred_width=-1 on my Pi 4 Hypno running 2.4.4, my ATEM Mini Pro ISO will see it, but my Blackmagic Decklink Duo won’t. So that’s unfortunately not a solution for me, and it might not be for others.

Ooof, yea blackmagic stuff aye. Decklink Duo is a PCIE capture though, with only SDI connections right? Can you give us a more illustrated description of this set up? Pictures and all. Im just not sure I understand the purpose for the extras when the atem mini does all the mixing and usb capture, or the idea of upscaling an SD signal without something like Updown Cross/Decimator/Video Assist setup some LZX video-based artists have been known to use.

Do you happen to have a list of valid settings for “hypno_preferred_width”? For me setting it to 1920, as Cowboy mentioned in another thread, was the key to getting my Pi4 box to boot into 360p for my ATEM Extreme to see.

“-1” makes Hypno output to 360 on the ATEM Mini Pro & Roland V4-EX SD Hdmi inputs, and 480 on the HD input on the V4EX / Sony LCD / $10 capture card. So in all my cases, leaving at it’s default position is more than okay.

UNLESS you have a field monitor in between that doesn’t pass the EDID of the connected device to the Hypno. The monitor supports 480, and doesn’t seem to be passing the ATEM’s info on, so it boots in 480p, the monitor can display it, but the ATEM can’t. Thus I force it by using the 1920 preferred width setting.

from 2017, to capture analog video synth signal from an lzx system. can omit the orei scaler, and go straight to the decimator instead…

1 Like

however, things have changed and you could directly upscale with a different orei: Premium 4K HDMI to HDMI Scaler with PAL to NTSC Conversion(XD-4000) | OREI

https://www.extron.de/product/dschdhd?subtype=361

I just found a Crestron HD-SCALER-HD-E on eBay for $18, gonna give it a try:

https://www.crestron.com/Products/Video/HDMI-Solutions/Scalers/HD-SCALER-HD-E