Still making Eurorack version?

Hi, I noticed that the eurorack version of the Hypno no longer appears to be for sale. Has it been discontinued? Do any of these still exist for purchase (with the expander)?

Hey there @timezones

The no-pi kit and Euro support has been discontinued since we kept having issues with the HDMI expander ribbon being fragile and a few customers have messed up their pis because of not following our compatibility charts (which few people seem to read). New standalone customers (usually beginners to the world of synths) where also understandably often confused on which version to pick even though most of the time they just needed to simply buy the prebuilt.

Therefore I cant really wholeheartedly recommend the Eurorack config anymore and decided to just continue to sell the single prebuilt variant. We still have a few expanders in stock for the time being should you decide to grab one and swap out for a Pi3A+ but honestly I recommend just running Hypno next to your case. In my experience even people with very large racks end up running Hypno standalone in the long run and this avoids any potential jankiness with the expanders which where always a bit of a patch (they originally started as a customer DIY solution here on the forum).

Also on top of the increased support load, stocking the expanders/prebuilts greatly increases part counts we have to stock and after selling it for a few years I calculated we where losing money on these items so we will no longer be able to offer these.

1 Like

Hi!
First post here at the forum :vulcan_salute:t3::cowboy_hat_face:
When looking at the Hypno Pre-Built 4B chart it’s says it’s not eurorack mountable, what does this mean in practice - is it just that the USB/hdmi gets covered up, or does it mean that the spacing for the screws doesn’t line up anymore?

I’m just asking from a mounting point of view, I know that you no longer support powering via eurorack, I’m just interested to mount it as a part of the setup and power it separately :slightly_smiling_face:

/Daniel

Hi,

The supplied 4B model Pi, physically just wont fit. It’s too tall and all the jacks all covered up, exactly. However, if you’re really adventurus, you could pick up a PI3A+, which will of course fit, bu will also require the adapter kit and attention to detail when assembling the HDMI ribbon cables…

But save all the trouble, set it next to the rack and patch as you like.

1 Like

Thanks for a quick reply!
But theoretically the screw holes still fit right?
I think I can modify my case to get the jacks reachable, so I’m still considering to go for the hard way :grin:
Although, as you say I could always fallback to use it stand alone so I will probably get the answer to if it’s worth it when I have made the purchase - hopefully before the end of this year😅

Absolutely, Hypno’s panel is still very much within the eurorack height specifications. Nothing changed there, just the actual base-hardware that’s changed. So yea, whenever yr ready, or when an original 2020-era model shows up secondhand and you can just buy that, pop it in a rack no-sweat.

1 Like

You can also buy a GPIO extension cable and a Pi 4 case, then separate the Pi from the Hypno, put it in the case, connect them via the GPIO cable, and mount it safely out of the way inside the rack. Not that I’ve done this or anything :wink:

2 Likes