Sleepy isn't waking up anymore

Hey there,

I was happily fiddling with my Sleepy yesterday and while enjoying those colors it went to sleep and isn’t waking up anymore. At first I thought the powersupply died (I used a powerbank), but that wasnt the case. Sleepy isnt booting anymore and it is not recognized in balena. When I try to power it it up the right light shines in a faint green and the right fader lights up when put in the bottom position - but thats all. Did it fry an die or does anybody have a clue how to wake up a sleepy Sleepy?

Heya,

What version of Hypno do you have? It may just need to the HDMI plugged in first before powering up.

Don’t give up just yet, it’s definitely possible to wake your Hypno back up.

1 Like

I have the old Version (CM3+ ?).
Tried that several times. Switched through some hdmi cables / monitors / usb cable and power adapter. Always the same result.faint green light but thats all. When the sleepy hypno is piwerd up, my beamer switches frim the stand by screen to “no hdmi signal”. So I guess something happens, but I do not know what it is. Right now its sleeping without any signs of waking up.

The one with the composite out on the front? I have heard of 1 user who ended up replacing the CM3 module with a new one and it managed to wake right up, no problem.

Perhaps if you’re up for it, find a new CM3+ module (32gb model) and pop that right in. Otherwise consider hitting up support and working out a repair ticket.

Yes, it is the version with the composite out in the front.
A new CM3+ is already ordered. Worth a try, in before ordering a new Hypno.
Thanks for your help!

Nope, a new CM3+ did not do the job. Still sleeping / dead.

Dang,

Did you flash the hypno firmware onto the pi using the update procedure already?

Given that it’s a new pi, you’ll still have to give it the new instructions to run as a “Hypno” after you pop it into the socket.

1 Like

I have the same issue. Brand new pre-assembled Hypno with Pi4 straight outta the Box. Micro HDMI plugged into my Monitor. Then USB-C connected to the Power Supply that came with the Hypno. Right LED glows dimly green. Text starts scrolling. Then black and nothing. There is a faint flash of the Right LED right before it goes back to the faint green glow, but that’s it. Top and Side USB-C connector gives the same result as does using either of the Micro HDMI Ports.

Hi,

What power supply came with your Hypno? For best results, use an official Raspberry pi 4 power supply.

Which country are you in? I can happily point you in the right direction.

My Unit came with an official Raspberry Pi Power Adaptor (5.1V, 3.0A)

BUT…

UPDATE

It was the Monitor. I tried the Hypno with my TV and it worked like a charm. I think it might be related to a weird Power-Saving Feature on the Monitor (it’s an old Monitor).

Edit: when the Hypno starts up and the text starts scrolling there is a quick black-out and then a second set of text lines starts scrolling. I think what happened was that in this short black-out moment my Monitor decided to turn itself off again since there was no Signal. And then in turn the Hypno notices that there’s no active Hdmi Connection and then turns itself off as well. Maybe.

1 Like

Oh, nope. I was not aware about the necessity of flashing the pi. I will try this over the next few days.

Flashing shouldn’t be required out of the box, looks like the above was a display issue.

Mine is not fresh out if the box. I got a Hypno a few years ago based on a CM3+ that suddenly went to sleep (first message in the thread).

Yes if you got a new CM3 or even the old one I would recommend flashing the newest firmware either way. Make sure to pay extra attention to the update switch since the Hypno wont power on if it in the up/update position. Check out the docs section about updating here: Hypno Firmware | Sleepy Circuits

As far as I can tell the CM3s are being initialized correctly still in Balena. If neither a new CM3 or the one that came with your unit is working you are likely doing something wrong. As usual make sure to stay static aware since shocks can break electronic equipment.