Mezzz + vidOS Mega Guide for Firmware 1.4: Audio Reactivity, Presets, and More!

Hey Sleepyheads!

We are back with an updated Mezzz and vidOS user guide for the firmware 1.4.

This video reviews the new features added to our flagship portable video system since the last tutorial. It demonstrates using the Mezzz MIDI controller and the generative 3D video app, vidOS, to make rad visuals for live performance! This video guide covers the Mezzz hardware, making shapes, navigating pages, using internal modulation, setting up audio reactivity, presets, and recording your work.

If you want to learn even more, be sure to check the online manual and guides at https://docs.sleepycircuits.com/mezzz… and the first Mega Tutorial here: • Mezzz + vidOS Mega Demo!

1 Like

Hey Ron .
An amazing update , and for the first time vidOS is working on my Mac desktop . Although it did crash in the first 5 mins … would like the crash reports sent to you ?
Also this version runs so slow on my iPad Pro … what spec iPad is needed for it run smooth ?
Or are there any tweaks … I’ve tried lowering the bit rate in the settings this seems to have a posaitive effect . However , I’d like to be able to use the sound envelope follower and this is way to slow to seem like it’s working on my iPad Pro … 3rd generation running iOS 17.5.1 …
Any ideas ? Thanks

Have you tried using the resolution scaling in the settings menu? thats the primary way to optimize for older devices. Honestly the newer the device the better since this type of synthesis (essentially simulating rays of light) takes a lot of processing power and wasn’t even really viable for realtime use until recent leaps with chip performance.

The crash reports come to me through the app store if you submit them. What where you trying to do when you experienced the crash?

not sure what you mean by lowering the bitrate, bitrate of what?

Hi Ron
What I meant was by lowering bitrate , was lowering the resolution as you suggested … yes it does perform better , but then it looks so lo FI .
I like the shiner hi FI …
is there a way to use an older version of vidOS ? Can I roll back …
I literal spend £500 on this pad as soon as I got mezz , as mezz wouldn’t work on my older one …
so now I need to spend 700 on one that might be capable of running vidOS seemlessly ?
So I buy a device that’s cost £350 and then need to spend two times that much to use as intended … hmm
Now I know what it feels like to be a teenager buying my first car …
you can get a decent car for 500 quid , but you can’t use it unless you can afford 1200 insurance …
im a bit baffled how such updates have caused so much more processing , I was not even doing anything heavy … literally expanding the size to see the shape has measurable latensey . Where as before it was fine …

Hey there, the same could be said for running resolume or touch designer on a shit computer with integrated graphics, It works, but not near as well as on an optimized device with a dedicated graphics card.

Though while I’m not too familiar iPad’s and more contemporary Apple Silicon devices just yet, these newer M2 series or higher are going to be the way forward for more graphics-intensive applications, vidOS included.

I’ve got iPhone 13 Pro here that runs vidOS quite alright and an iPad 6 that runs vidOS not-so-great. But the M2 iPad vidOS was running on at Superbooth was running miles beyond either.

It’s still a bit uncharted territory, but the newer, with Silicon-based chips, the better when it comes to vidOS and Touch Designer-like video software.

How about the smoothing setting have you tried that? This one will add a slew to all the controls for smoother transition so if its far up this will add some deliberate transition time.

The performance requirement didn’t rly change from the last version as far as i am aware…

I develop the engine on M1 so it should be ok there. The performance overall fluctuates up and down as I add new stuff then proceed to learn to optimize it over time and thats to be expected. vidOS will be targeting M1+ moving forward the whole point is that the tech just now makes this type of realtime ray marching possible and to utilize the modern hardware that can improve without coupling to the Mezzz hardware.

Bravo on this update, modulation levels and audio reactivity are extremely welcome!

1 Like

Hi, I’m using VidOS on my MacBook Pro M1 Max and it works pretty smooth, the modulation LFO’s works fine but the audio reactivity does not work at all. Am I missing something? On my iPhone it works with the microphone (I have not tested the audio interface on iOS). It would be nice to get this work for performances!

Hey there, you’ll have to enable such microphone permissions in your preferences or application settings.

Hi, i’ve enabled permission for Apple Music (Media etc) but I can’t find Sleepy VidOS in the microphone folder. Once enabled I played some tracks but still no audio reactivity. Also after enabling permission I found in my Sleepy VidOS settings the Apple Music Icon besides the Bluetooth Icon. Tapping on the Apple Music Icon brings me to my system settings where I can toggle on/off the permission but no audio reactivity.

I’m having trouble getting this to update on my MBP M1 Max MacOS 14.6.1, connected directly via a tb4/usbc cable.

In chrome the adafruit ESPtool gets to this point:
Running stub…
[Object.debug:191] Finished read loop
Error: Invalid head of packet (0x47)

I am unable to reach the next step of choosing a file

Heya, running Chrome & using a powered USB-C cable?

Yes running chrome, and tried both the cable it shipped with, and a usb-c powered cable. Just tried on an older Mac Pro in Chrome, and it also does this using the cable it shipped with.

The full display of what happens:

Connecting…
Connected successfully.
Try hard reset.
Chip type ESP32-S3
Connected to ESP32-S3
MAC Address: F4:12:FA:87:7E:64
Uploading stub…
Running stub…
[Object.debug:191] Finished read loop
Error: Invalid head of packet (0x47)

Hmm, here’s the procedure: but I’m on a PC here,

How to Update Mezzz

1. Download .bin from link above

2. Connect Mezzz via the included USB-C Cable (supports data transfer)

3. Go to Adafruit ESPTool

• Use a browser with WebSerial Support (Use Chrome when in doubt)
  1. Turn Mezzz On while holding the center button (no LEDs will light up)

2. Hit connect Button, look for cu.usbmodemXXXXX port, hit another connect button

3. Hit Choose File for 0x00 and select the firmware .bin

4. Hit Program

5. Wait

6. When Prompted cycle Mezzz power switch off and then on

huh, yea I boot camped into windows on the old Mac Pro, same results ending in the error above. I have a Mezz unit from the first presale, maybe mine needs to be sent in for checking?

Currently investigating this issue via email support ticketing system, @Dr_Rek please see our reply there and others please hang tight while we isolate the issue.

Looks like we got this resolved, Mezzz flashing procedure has been updated with a different web tool since the Adafruit one appears to be broken: Mezzz Firmware (& vidOS Patch Notes) | Sleepy Circuits