Mezzz + vidOS is here! (w/ video demo!)

LOL awesomeness! Dear Ron, even without preset saving vidOS is awesome! Thanks SO much! To test vidOS I built a control surface in surface builder and sent midi to vidOS via Logic Pro from another iPad (mini) LOL…a bit hackey but I already made my first video! Super Fun! Would pay dearly for in app purchases for preset saving, still image / camera roll input for textures, further shapes and yes those feedback types

2 Likes

Any sort of rough timeline you’re looking at for getting some of the features implemented?
Sound reactivity is a -big- one for me and my goals. I love the hypno for it. Video sampling as well.

I have a group of friends who are fantastic flow and firespinning artists and I really want to collab with them for some crazy stuff at our shows.

Also, are Mezzz buyers going to get any of the in-app purchases for free with the hardware or will all of those be completely separate?

Obviously the mezzz is still in it’s early stages and considering the growth and evolution of the hypno over the years, I’m very excited to see what you do with Vid OS. I’m still a little hesitant on my order just yet as the limitations of mezzz don’t line up with my current goals, but I do want to support your work and products as I’ve had nothing but bliss with the hypno [outside of some very problematic bugs that are sidelining my ability to save video patches meaningfully]

Overall: Great work so far! Excited to see what you do.

Oh, and will the mezzz work with MacOs as well? I don’t actually own my own apple product yet to run it on and I’m considering a new macbook air so that I can use lumen as well!

Got up and running with Mezzz this week. Just want to say I am loving it. Feeding a Iphone 15 pro (17.1.2) into hdmi capture for real time stuff in Resolume/anolog glitch. Working great. Randomize is easily my favorite.

Quick question - still trying to figured out what the pink and blue modes do (achieved by holding down one of the side and center buttons

Sorry I’m not going to be committing to any timelines here since thats basically a recipe for disappointment, hope you understand.

Im curious what you feel the limitations of Mezzz are for your current goals? Maybe that can inspire me in my future hardware dev. The full demo video is in the works so maybe that will change your mind :wink:

vidOS currently works on macOS as a “Made for iPad” app since its a universal binary and allows me to maintain only one version of the app for all Apple stuff. Mezzz is BLE MIDI and as such works everywhere MIDI and bluetooth are present which is most places nowadays.

Gonna look into that Y axis panning not saving on Hypno shortly, Im also working on the EDID negotiation issues w certain gear.

No solid plan on in app purchases yet tbh id rather just sell great hardware that enables features since thats kinda my vibe, already there are a number of features only possible with Mezzz since they are hardware specific (the haptics, IMU, contextual maps and more), in my mind the app is just a “firmware” for the hardware, for video it just makes sense to compute on your already purchased machine thats likely to be attached to a screen, so 3rd party controller use w vidOS will always be a sort of nice to have / test drive option.

Pink and blue are single ch1 builtin user maps for saving the on-device CC remapping, there will be some detail about this in the demo video thats coming very soon.

How did you get vidOS to work I have the nanokey studio and can’t get past the page titled Camera with the parameters for Mezzz

I’d love to hear more about Hypno Mode :star_struck:

1 Like

That’s reasonable! I understand not wanting to set expectations that may not be accurate.

As for things lacking for me (I’ll just list everything, even though some others have already voiced some of these, ir you mentioned it was being worked on.)

• Preset Saving

• Sound reactivity (this one is important for me! Bonus points if you figure out a way to isolate frequencies so that different ranges affect different assignable parameters. Currently I use some eurorack to do that with the hypno)

• Being able to use a picture or video as a texture, or having some way to play back video even if it’s 2D. Really want something similar to the video sampling pn the hypno but with a higher resolution (even 720p) and solid frame rate. (very different engine I know, so I understand there is likely great difficulties in implementing this, if possible)

• A record function would be really nice.

• Modulation depth, maybe multiple modulation waveforms? Or even… fm?

• More overdrive modes, of course.

• Distortion? Or a crt filter? Some sort of “master effects?” Just sort of tossing out ideas here. You could make a large variety as dlc.

• This one is a big one but… kinda like what lumens has, being able to make a “Knob” and “Patch” overview so you can tweak with a sort of synthesizer / vcv rack sort of UI.

• Cat generator / frog generator.

• Does my taxes, makes my bed, and cooks me some good meals.

As a note, this is what I’m looking to do:
Take videos of performance art (fire splinning, LED flow, etc) and fractalize, color shift, etc etc with sound reactivity. I already have a bit of this with the hypno, but having it in higher frame rates and resolutions would be phenomenal. Being able to use those videos as a texture would be beyond cool, though I can imagine the sort of weird struggles that may exist in programming that.

I also understand that much of this is a wishlist for the app and not really part of this firmware idea you’re using it for.

I know you also just said you don’t want to set any expectations, but I don’t own any apple devices currently. I have to purchase something to use the mezzz with.
You have it mentioned in the marketing that you are bringing it to other OS’s. Are you able to say if that is a sooner or a later sort of situation?
Wondering if I should wait or lean into an apple product for the first time. Really prefer windows myself.

Features? OK, I’ll play. I’m coming at this with a background of having owned a LZX modular system. Some neat things to think about:

• Sound reactivity, with at least three frequency bands and variable decay (fast/slow is even OK here). This is pretty important to me for live shows.
  • Patch storage. If this could be made to fade smoothly between patches and respond to MIDI patch change messages it would be a godsend.
  • Luma → chroma mapping, which is especially useful with a camera
  • Another vote for modulation amount. Subtlety is important in this stuff.
  • Ditto on still picture and/or video (live, especially) textures. The LZX gradients collection is an interesting example of what can be done with stills and keying. VidOS could take this way further with all that iPad/Mac graphics horsepower.
  • Speaking of keying … keying. :smiley:
  • Having an “external monitor mode” like an Edirol V4 or the like would be great: show menus and such on the device monitor and send a clean output to the external monitor.
  • Speaking of video mixers, being able to composite the output with things like bugs with logos or text etc would be awesome. I know I could just add a BMD ATEM Mini or whatever, but that would be a buzzkill if I had to be chained to a mixer instead of cruising around with a Mezzz in my hand.

Out of those, I’d put audio reactivity at the top of the list, followed very closely by patch storage.

Hi how did you get it to work I have the nanokey studio but can’t get past the screen titled Camera with the parameters for Mezzz

If tapping a key doesn’t make the camera diagram go away then set it to send a different kind of note (e.g. toggle / don’t toggle / momentary / non momentary)…worked for me. Worst case see what kind of note you’re sending from the nanokey keyboard in midi monitor and then try a different kind.

What, and miss out on all the fun while you’re waiting? Don’t do that to yourself…:wink:

Great thanks for that

As you can see, I’m having lots of fun with vidOS here…and this is only one shape twisted into a birds nest fiddle head type thingy…the other one flew off into Z space never to be seen again in this video LOL.

2 Likes

Excited to see mine is on the way. The hypno really was my first step into video synthesis and visual design. I am already so enamored that I’ve began selling my audio gear to expand my video capabilities.
Built myself a little modular audio-to-cv-to-midi controller (befaco VCMC as the star there), purchased my first apple computer and some other visual software, and now just waiting for the mezzz in the mail. Very excited!

Having a ton of fun. Thanks for making products that got me sucked into this world. I likely would have never started this journey without the hypno.

1 Like