List of USB Accessories that work with Hypno

It sounds like the issue is simply that the bandwidth limits of the USB2.0 port are being exceeded. I had a similar response when I attempted to use both NDI and video input concurrently. Being that we don’t have a Hydrasynth, we can’t comment on what exactly it’s sending over USB, but since your NanoKontrol operates fine then I would say Hypno is working as expected. Maybe ASM support can shed some light on what the USB port sends?

Cross-posting from another thread: I tried to use video input through this powered hub but it has not worked for this application except as power pass through.

Just picked up the powered OTG hub listed in the OP. Excellent! Can now use USB MIDI controller as well as a video input. I would like also to connect to the computer to capture as NDI on the hub but the only USB A to USB A cable I have does not work. Any suggestions of a cable you know to work?

If you’ve got the USB+ethernet hub, then you would need an ethernet cable and an available ethernet port on your computer. Note that you won’t be able to use NDI and video input simultaneously, it’s too much bandwidth for USB2.0. If you want to use video input and record the output, you’ll need an HDMI or composite capture device connected to your computer.

Pi Zero Webcam Gadget - Works as a UVC camera. This is neat if you want to build physical input things.

Novation RemoteZero SL - Midi Complaint Control Surface. Not the best solution but, no computer needed.

Coolgear 4Port USB 3.2 Gen2 Type-c Metal Hub 2C2A

This hub works well for me so far. I can use both a UVC device and the midi control surface at the same time with no issues at all.

KW

Circling back around on this, I decided to try the Hydra via 5-pin din and it works flawlessly. There’s something very weird going on with the USB MIDI on the Hydra.

Also, can confirm the RetroKits RK-006 is able to combine multiple midi outputs into a single stream that Hypno is happy with. Behind the 006 box I have OP-Z, Hydra, and NanoKontrol all working.

4 Likes

Thanks for reporting that! I’m actually borrowing a Hydrasynth right now and experienced the same problem you were, so it’s not just you either.

1 Like

Successfully mapped an X-Touch Compact with Hypno using this adapter CableCreation Micro USB 2.0 OTG Cable

2 Likes

Sweet! Great match for Hypno too

Hello Sleepy Team and others, I have been having trouble getting my hypno to recognize video input from my pc’s hdmi display out. I am attempting to cut down on a dongle with this video capture device:

I have a single usb to micro usb cable connected to the usb video out on the device, which is receiving video input via a single hdmi cable. My pc recognizes a device is plugged in and has it set up as a secondary display, but hypno seemingly does nothing upon connection. I am on firmware 2.1.5, and I have tried various hdmi and usb to micro-usb cables that I know work, but no luck. Can anyone confirm if this dongle setup won’t work?

After a bit more looking, there’s a good chance this capture card is usb3.0, as mentioned in the description, despite having 2.0 in the product title and images :man_facepalming:

Yeah that would most likely be why. USB 3.0 devices don’t work with this SoC unfortunately.

2 Likes

The micro USB cable could also be the issue.

You need to use an OTG cable to have video input recognised.

So micro USB OTG > USB A to USB A > capture card.

The product images show a direct connection with a USB C cable but these operate very differently to micro in this kind of context.

1 Like

USB 3.0 devices don’t work with this SoC unfortunately

Is this something that can be upgraded eventually or does the newer computer module format prevent this?

1 Like

Hypno is based on Pi cm3, cm4 should be able to handle this in theory ( i havent tested yet though). There isn’t a way to retrofit that onto an existing Hypno that I have found ( they changed to a different footprint on the new compute module :/)

put me on the list for a hypno2 once you sort out what it’s going to be :wink: I’m good for it. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

The Elmo MO-1 Visual Presenter works as a UVC device with the Hypno via a powered hub.

KAM

2 Likes

An overhead camera like this is such a great idea!

1 Like

Things have been crazy busy today. But a while back I had been playing with using these presentation devices to experiment with liquid lightshow as input. Here is a shot, seen via a doc camera, of me floating marbling paints in a borosilicate glass crystalazation dish. I am not sure where the crazy cloud face under the dish came from.

KAM

4 Likes

So are you using the RK-006 to convert the midi from 5 pin to usb ?
I tried sending midi from ableton live to digitone through usb into a keystep 37 via the din midi , in the hope that the midi would get through and come out the usb from the keystep …
The keystep will happily send midi from its usb out , but it doesn’t seem to be getting the midi going through and out from the midi …

Are there any midi devices that can convert din midi to usb that hypno will recognise ?