Issues Syncing Hypno with External Audio Input

Hello

I’m having trouble syncing my Hypno with an external audio input. I’ve connected everything as instructed; but the visuals don’t seem to react properly to the audio. :upside_down_face:

Sometimes; the visuals lag; or there’s no response at all. I’ve tried adjusting the input levels, but the issue persists. Has anyone else experienced this? I have checked https://forum.sleepycircuits.com/t/getting-audio-into-hypno/80- splunk guide for reference but still need help .

Are there specific settings / techniques I should try to get smoother synchronization between the audio and the visuals?

Any troubleshooting tips would be appreciated!

Thank you! :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi,

Where is your audio coming from? Even if it’s from a computer or digital source, we highly suggest a modular envelope follower; something to efficiently take in external audio, and extract gates to then convert into 5v envelopes the Hypno’s modular inputs expect.

Like the Doepfer A-119 for example…

Thank you for your reply. You have tweaked my interest in using the Doepfer A-119. I always am looking for better ways to use stereo line level audio as a source for making the HYPNO more audio reactive.

It appears the A-119 is mono, so I am considering using two of them, one for left and one for right. Ideally, one would break out the different audio frequencies for getting the best interaction, but I want to start with just the two full bandwidth audio source signals. I have read through the 2021 article Making Audiovisual Patches with Hypno at Making Audiovisual Patches with Hypno. However, I was wondering if you would be kind enough to highlight how you would patch two A-119s (left and right) into the HYPNO “just to get started” – Which A-119 Envelope Outs and Gate Outs go to what inputs on the HYPNO.

Thanks,
=D-

I refer to the A-119 because they are often very cheap, especially secondhand and include the use of a 1/4" balanced, and 1/8" unbalanced input with corresponding outputs for gate, envelope and main audio.

While it does not directly filter out and divide into individual frequency bands like that of the LZX Sensory Translator (and the use of bridge to get it up to the 5v Hypno expects), having the 3 differing outputs means often just enough control to make things audio-reactive, without having the whole “patch” rely on external movement.

Some use-cases would be to module the master brightness with the envelope and the oscillator shape selection with a gate out. main audio could be used then to modulate the frequency of another oscillator, or maybe be used in the audio-modular domain for further processing.

Doesn’t have to be a whole lot, but sometimes just lil bit of movement is nice.

1 Like