Hypno output to a Blackmagic monitor

Hello Sleepyheads!

I am using a Pi4 Hypno.
I am wanting to use a Blackmagic Video Assist monitor as my primary output from Hypno, and then from that monitor going HDMI into my mix system. The unit looks to go thru its boot process correctly but NO VIDEO remains, LEDs on the unit are active and functions do appear to work but still no video output.

Seems this monitor can take a TON of inputs (as seen below) so I guess I am just confused why this chain wont work. Help ?

"SD Video Standards
525i59.94 NTSC, 625i50 PAL

HD Video Standards
720p50, 720p59.94, 720p60
1080p23.98, 1080p24, 1080p25,
1080p29.97, 1080p30, 1080p50,
1080p59.94, 1080p60
1080i50, 1080i59.94, 1080i60

HDMI Color Precision 10-bit

Copy Protection
HDMI input is unable to capture from
copy protected HDMI sources. Always
confirm copyright ownership before
capture or distribution of content. "

This wouldnt be such a big issue but I also cannot get NDI to ever register on windows.

NDI Studio Monitor can find the hypno and shows it too me, but its always just a blank black screen.

What are the input settings on your Black Magic Video Assist?

Hypno currently runs at 720x480p, but additional resolution modes will be available in the next firmware update.

Are you just using the Video Assist to monitor the output of Hypno before going into your video mixer or are you affecting it in some way?

1 Like

Looking forward to the next update then!

I believe this monitor is just searching for a valid signal, I dont see any setting anywhere to lock the input status.

Using the BMVA as a HDMI hub and monitor. Having a nice preview screen and also a hdmi hub to split the signal and send its copies to different locations.

It might be advantageous to look into a simpler setup if you’re using it primarily for HDMI previewing and splitting. You can find preview monitors and HDMI splitters fairly cheaply that will do the same thing but in a more straightforward manner

1 Like

Blackmagic kit is notorious for totally ignoring any video input that does not exactly conform to one of the specified options! I have the original 5" BMVA, but I often need a different monitor for some of my video inputs.

I agree with SleepyNaomi that a different preview monitor and an HDMI splitter will give the desired functionality, although you will need to confirm that the monitor will work with the current Hypno output at 720x480p. Some may be as fussy as the BMVA!