Hypno HDMI Expander DIY

Merged with existing thread

I was about to pull the trigger on parts and make my own HDMI Expander. While trying to source a 3HP blank panel, I ran into a product from a group Iā€™ve bought from in the past who make quite a few nifty eurorack items including this:

I thought to myself: Maybe I can fit my HDMI port on their panel just below their HDMI port - effectively piggybacking on their form without interfering with their functionality. I wrote to them asking if they thought it would work and they wrote back (saying it would be unlikely to fit) proposing the idea of producing a round of proper Expanders for us.

So now Iā€™m gauging interest. :slight_smile: If you think this is something youā€™d buy, let me know. Once I have an idea how many they could sell, Iā€™ll be able to find out the cost per module and gauge final interest.

1 Like

I havenā€™t gotten around to creating a panel for this DIY project just yet but it is on my list to create a PCB panel. At that point I will simply list the panel on the site for purchase.

( I was actually hoping to get a prototype of this panel ordered this week )

1 Like

I would definitely buy one. What do you expect the panel size to be? 2 or 3 HP?

Please lord donā€™t make it an uneven hp :joy:

2 Likes

It will actually be 3.5hpā€¦

jk

3 Likes

Good news! 2hp should be able to fit the panel mount adapter.

In theoryā€¦

Now we wait to see if this works out in practice.

2 Likes

Prototype is working!

10 Likes

Oh dear! So, are the 2hp panels up for grabs yet?

We should have them for sale fairly soon, weā€™ll update this thread when theyā€™re ready to ship.

5 Likes

Expander panels are available now!!!

Here is the full part list again (also on the shop page):

2 Likes

Okay, thatā€™s awesome so far. :+1:
Time for next level shit: Create a panel for 1U! :innocent:
Cowboy already showed a picture of his case (2nd post).
Imagine that the expander panel is above the Hypno.
Good idea? Yes or ā€¦ yes?! :sweat_smile:

So it looks like the officially linked HDMI panel mount is no longer available. Thereā€™s a few alternatives, are any known to actually fit?

Iā€™m mainly concerned about hole spacing - HDMI cables donā€™t have locking screws like DB-style connectors (serial cables, VGA, etc), so I dont know if the hole distance is standard.

Anything that looks like it on Amazon from the keywords ā€œfemale to female hdmi panel mountā€ should do fine itā€™s a generic part.

I think this one is the same although itā€™s a two pack - group buy anyone? haha

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WJKTY4H/

2 Likes

Any idea on when more of these will be in stock? Iā€™m looking to get one ASAP.

Hai welcome to the forum jonnyedwin! Sorry about that I didnā€™t realize that I put the incorrect stock number. These are currently in stock, I have plenty of these. Please check again!

Awesome, thanks! Just purchased.

1 Like

Also, Adafruit sales the HDMI ribbons and ends for those who donā€™t wish to buy it from Amazon. Panel works really well in the 4ms pod case.

KW

1 Like