HDMI vs Component Video

Someone on here was talking about component video connections and it made me curious. I use HDMI because I like getting audio over the same cable and more importantly, that’s what I have on my Hypno. I had no idea why anyone would even want to use component outs. This link helped me understand (kind of), but practically speaking, why do any of you prefer component, or is it not even a question of either or, but rather both?

Do you mean Composite? People with modular synths like composite because it’s analog and easy to patch to other modules.

1 Like

Nah, I think discussing the difference in HDMI & Component is a valid option. Both can carry an HD signal, but breaking it out to three separate cables allows for a wider range of video equipment to be mixed together.

Composite video connections are common amongst antiquated broadcast & video game consoles, so it means you can connect them to an older generation of LZX-branded video synth modules, albient at nearly half the resolution, which trying to upscale can give you mixed results.

So the option for an HD component signal is always gonna be the move, in particular as most clubs are going to a have an HDMI connection, and a converter from HD component to HDMI is gonna give you the least amount of artifacts.

If your output is a crt, and you rescan with a digital camera, composite is just fine though too.

1 Like

My bad. Yes, component. Gotcha, re: modulars.

So the older connections are for if you want to use a old pre-HMDI gear.

Agreed on HDMI being the best option. I got a pair of these 30’ cables. They’re very flexible and I haven’t run into a space where I couldn’t hook up to the house in a snap. I bring an HDMI splitter too.

I use an old video mixer called the Edirol V4. My old hypno that has the component out can plug direct into it which is nice but my new hypno that doesn’t have the component has to be downscaled so that it can be plugged into it. So the takeaway is if you are using gear that has the input it is value to have.