2 Hypnos and a Mezzz walk into a wall

Reporting in from the CME WIDI trenches, I have everything connected in a way that works great albeit for 1 single issue:

I have two Hypnos, one on channel 15, one on channel 16. It seems like whichever one the mezzz encounters first works a treat, whether it’s on channel 15 or 16. The other gets seen, gets its led status updated on the Mezzz, but the knobs are not configured for “hypno mode” it seems. Is there some restriction currently that prevents hypno mode on more than one channel? If it’s just an auto-mapping, can I force it to happen on 15 and 16 always?

Hi,

Do you have WIDI bud for each Hypno?
Hypno mode is set up by default to work on Channel 16 of Mezzz, pre-configured CC mappings and all. So in theory if you set channel 15 up to output the correct CC values Hypno expects, I suppose you could go back and forth to control two Hypno’s with the same device, just flipping the channel back and forth to work with the desired program.

Well, I hate to break it to you, but Hypno mode works on channel 15 too. I can repro the steps for you if you like. With one Hypno set to Ch 15, and one set to Ch 16:

1. Connect everything with MIDI/WIDI (Yes, both the Hynos have WIDI buds)
  2. Press the Ch UP button on the Mezzz until it reaches Ch15. Note that Hypno on Ch15 functions in Hypno mode, as expected.
  3. Press ch up on Mezzz until Ch16. Notice the LEDs update properly to reflect the state of the Hypno on Ch16. BUT: Move any encoder and immediately see that the mappings are not set.
  4. Turn off/Reset Mezzz.
  5. Press the Ch DOWN button on the Mezzz to roll from Ch1 to Ch16.
  6. Note that (previously malfunctioning) Hypno on Ch16 is now functioning in Hypno mode as expected.
  7. Press the Ch down button on the Mezzz to decrement to Ch15.
  8. Notice the LED indicators are updated, but no encoders are mapped properly to the previously functioning Hypno on this channel.

So in other words, I can get the Mezzz to successfully control either Hypno. It appears to “bind” Hypno mode to whatever channel it initially discovers a Hypno on, and fails to properly map subsequently identified Hypnos until a power cycle. I believe the problem is with the Mezzz “Hypno mode” implementation since I can make the problem manifest on either Hypno with only a Mezzz reboot.

A word on how I’m using WIDI: There is an iPAD M1 in the mix with an attached T-bolt hub. Into the T-Bolt hub I have a 3rd WIDI Bud. It’s in Auto mode, the ones plugged into the Hypnos are set to peripheral. I first let the Mezzz and the WIDI bud on the iPAD auto-connect to each other. I then connect the Hypnos to the iPAD MIDI BLE inside AUM. This works much better than having all the WIDI buds as peripherals and the iPAD’s BLE MIDI as the central hub due to (I’m conjecturing here) separating the radios out (or maybe due to the lower latency in the CME product?) When I tried pairing the Mezzz to the iPAD via the iPAD’s BLE MIDI (without the WIDI bud), I noticed that when I pressed the Mezzz’s center button, it didn’t always properly trigger FB engine change and echo message timing seemed to mess with the smooth operation of Mezzz. Configuring it with the Mezzz broken out to its own point to point connection with the iPAD works far better.

This seems to me like its working as intended/tested, the Hypno mode is a special mode the Mezzz that checks for which channel a connected Hypno uses on bootup and is meant to work with one Hypno at a time.

I could try to add multi Hypno support but I haven’t gotten that far yet tbh and I’m not sure how useful that is.

Mezzz can only connect to one central at a time.

So I’m guessing it’s more than just making sure the proper CC mappings are in place and there’s some sysex/code in place to support this mode. I don’t NEED it to control two Hypnos, but it’d be pretty cool if it could :smiley: So yeah. I’ll make do with what I got. BTW, is there a utility available to remap Mezzz controls?