Getting your LZX video modular into Hypno

Hey y’all, as you’re probably aware Hypno’s new firmware allows you to input video from external sources. This means in addition to Hypno->LZX workflows, you can now accomplish LZX->Hypno workflows allowing you to use Hypno as a final output/effect module for your analog video synthesizers. This opens up a lot of possibilities since Hypno’s video processing capabilities can rival that of an LZX system costing thousands of dollars. In this thread we’ll discuss some of the best practices and gear for getting a high quality video input from an LZX video synth. Techniques discussed in this thread will also apply to some other analog video devices as well!

We’ll need just a few things:

• Hypno
  • microUSB OTG adapter
  • HDMI to USB 2.0 capture device
  • YPbPr (analog component) to HDMI video converter
  • LZX Visual Cortex + component video cables OR Memory Palace + DVI adapter
  • HDMI cable

Hypno - of course we’ll need your Hypno module for this to work. This thread assumes you’re already experienced with Hypno and have used the video input feature. Please refer to the manual or video tutorials if you have not already.

microUSB OTG adapter - you need this to connect your capture device to Hypno’s microUSB front port.

HDMI to USB 2.0 capture device - found on Amazon or ebay for as little as $10, you need one of these if you want to use HDMI video sources with Hypno. https://www.amazon.com/Etermal-Definition-Streaming-Conference-Broadcasting/dp/B08BZ52Q65/

YPbPr to HDMI video converter* - LZX Visual Cortex has 480i analog component video output, so you’ll need to use an upscaling converter to use it with your HDMI capture device. I’ll link the box I am using, which allows me to upscale to a preferred resolution. You can use other analog to HDMI converters, too. If you have have a Roland V-4EX, it will also suffice in converting your component video to digital with good quality upscaling. *you can skip this device if you’re using Memory Palace as your final output https://www.amazon.com/Component-Converter-Function-Aluminum-Nintendo/dp/B07T29D4RY/

LZX Visual Cortex - this module is, for many LZX users, the final output in their system. Cortex has a variety of analog outputs but for the best fidelity we’re going to employ the component video output, which uses 3xRCA cables denoted by green, blue and red connectors. The upcoming LZX Chromagnon also uses component video output so the same techniques should apply when it is released.

LZX Memory Palace - Memory Palace features a DVI output which can be easily converted into HDMI using the adapter dongle that LZX provides in the box. DVI to HDMI cables also work, just ensure you buy one with the correct pinout. Since we effectively have an HDMI signal, we don’t need to use any analog to HDMI converter boxes. As of this posting, this is the most high quality signal you can get out of an LZX system because if features progressive 480p output, and thus requires no messy deinterlacing like you need with analog 480i video.

Getting this all to work is now just as simple as plugging everything in the proper order:

Visual Cortex YPbPr out > YPbPr to HDMI converter > HDMI to USB 2.0 capture device > USB A to microUSB OTG adapter > Hypno

OR

Memory Palace DVI out > DVI to HDMI dongle/cable > HDMI to USB 2.0 capture device > USB A to microUSB OTG adapter > Hypno

I’ve been running these setups for a couple days and the results are really mindblowing. Having the power of a full LZX system further processed by Hypno’s engine really goes into some new and exciting territory for complex and unique visual performance. The video does get compressed a bit in this chain (mostly because of the USB2.0 capture device) but the overall quality is actually quite impressive, and you won’t even really notice it in most patches.

Post videos of your LZX>Hypno patches below!

3 Likes

For what it’s worth, I want to add that you could also use composite video output and an AV to USB capture device, but I found the results to be less than compelling. Composite/S-video are just lower quality analog signals than YPbPr, and AV capture devices are also not known for being high fidelity (or reliable!). I tried connecting my Vidiot to Hypno using a cheap UVC and it was ok at best. I found the signal to be quite dark and had lots of compression artifacts, way more than the HDMI capture devices. That being said, if your video output is a Vidiot or Cadet RGB encoder, then composite is what you’re stuck with unless you invest in even more converters, which won’t really improve your image quality much anyway.

Additionally, Visual Cortex is now discontinued and there’s no direct replacement yet. Chromagnon, due to come out early 2021, will also feature component video output so the above techniques will also apply to that.

2 Likes

Sorry I don’t have more or better examples but here’s a doodle I was working with last night, MP into Hypno

https://www.instagram.com/p/CIZgmXHBRDJ/

2 Likes

Thanks for all this info! Judging by the number of clicks on all these links seems like quite a few people are interested in this kind of setup.

Memory palace in particular seems like a natural match for Hypno since it would let you go through your stills and live process with Hypno.

Definitely looking forward to seeing some sweet examples from the community!

Question for @Winston:

I’ve been able to replicate your mempal>hypno connectivity.

But how to run video into Hypno but also send the Hypno output to OBS? I’m stumped so far because it seems that the front usb jack is the only way to get video into OBS, but if that jack is being used to input video to Hypno, out to OBS isn’t (obviously) possible.

You’d need a video capture device to connect either the composite or HDMI output from Hypno to your PC. I use a Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle, but plenty of options exist depending on your budget and workflow. I definitely recommend HDMI capture for the best quality.

Ah, yes. I didn’t think of that bc I have my Hypno in a rack w/out access to the HDMI port and had been running the composite out to a Liquid TV.

All of that can be sorted easily, though. I have an Intensity Shuttle; good call on that.

1 Like

@Winston

what converter would you suggest for composite out from a LZX Color Video Encoder(i know, im old school) into the hypno? i saw you kind of talk about using composite in the second post, but maybe didnt find a good solution yet?

There are composite capture devices but I find the video quality to be very poor, and they are unreliable devices too. You will get better results if you use a composite to HDMI converter paired up with the USB 2.0 HDMI capture devices

sounds about right. cool, thanks.

Does the data transfer speed of the OTG adapter matter? I see there are devices that max out at 480Mbps and more expensive ones that claim to provide up to 5Gbps. I don’t mind spending more for a decent adapter, so I’d like to know for sure before making a purchase.

Hypno’s USB port is USB2.0, which maxes out at 480Mbps, so there’s no benefit to getting a 5Gbps (USB3.0) OTG adapter

1 Like

Here’s the one I am specifically using:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LN3LQKQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1 Like